Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Honey Badger Hits the Press!

Congratulations and more so... THANK YOU to the lovely Isis' honey badger Raven Diltz who wrote this inspiring and inquisitive piece on SlutWalkNYC 2011!

Doing justice through words!

An excerpt...

“Slut!” the word cut the air until it split, cracking onto my back like a whip. Sitting on the steps of the New York Public Library on 42nd and fifth with a book in my hands, I was wearing a pair of jeans, boots, and a sweater. Somehow, I knew the word was aimed at me. My head shot up, and my eyes focused on a small group of boys. They were teenagers, full of arrogance and obviously looking for a reaction.......
I closed my eyes for a second and smiled at the irony. The teenage boys were looking for a negative reaction to a violent word. But nothing they could think of doing to me, nothing that followed the violence of the word with violent actions, nothing at all, could keep me from being myself. So, I gave them a reaction. A simple smile and a wave. They were too confused to make another comment, and when I looked at them again, they had vanished into thin air.  

No comments:

Post a Comment